Cough, scar in lungs. On lexapro, toprol medication. Chest X-ray normal. History of BP, anxiety. Lung cancer?

I am a 52 year old female with a history of high blood pressure, anxiety, herniated discs in my cervical neck. I am currently taking toprol, lexapro, multivitamin, and systane. I recently had a chest xray and the report came back negative except a little scarring was noted in the lower part of the lung. What causes this scarring? Is this an indication of lung cancer? I have never smoked but both of my parents smoked and I was exposed to second hand smoke as a child and adolescent. I have also had an occasional dry cough ever since I had a cough with a cold a few Weeks ago. It does not hurt when I cough and I dont cough up anything. I only cough a few times a day and I dont cough at night. I also have some mild discomfort in my mid back and also in my shoulder area. I My doctor thinks that the shoulder and arm pain is related to my herniated discs. He gave
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Lung Cancer
Follow-up: Cough, scar in lungs. On lexapro, toprol medication. Chest X-ray normal. History of BP, anxiety. Lung cancer? 12 minutes later
My doctor gave me medrol for the shoulder and back pain and the medrol completely took away the shoulder, arm and back pain. I am very concerned about lung cancer. Does this seem like it could be a reason for the scarring in the lungs. Everything I have read online points to lung cancer. I dont have any shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, weight loss or loss of appetite. Could it be lung cancer. I am having a chest CT tomorrow and I am scared that it might be cancer.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 4 hours later

Please relax, only scarring could not be a sign of cancer.

You are not having any symptoms suggesting of cancer as you already know.

There are some common set of complaints in all types of cancer like weight loss, weakness, recurrent infections, etc. You are having none of them.

Your doctor is right and the pain that you are having could be due to herniated disc.

You are already going for CT scan chest which will put speculation to rest. Please get in touch with a chest physician who can clear your doubts.

This will also guide about the extent of scarring and any associated disease.

There are many reasons for lung scarring, and at times no obvious reason could be found.

Please continue with medications that you are already taking.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.