Cough, saliva contains blood, dry mouth, cough only in morning. Lungs normal. What could be the reason?

Hi There

Well i have a problem
In the morning when i wake up and i cough the first time then the normal tar like stuff from smoking comes out. (a little bit beige color)
This phlegm does not contain any blood i inspected it myself also very well to be sure.
But when i spit just afterwords without coughing my saliva contains blood and i spit 3 to 4 times and then my saliva is normal again it becomes less and less with the spit.
This only happens in the morning just after i woke up, i want to notify that i sleep with my mouth open and its terribly dry when i wake up and cough the first time.
I already went to my doc a couple of times and he listened to my lungs and everything is more then fine he said no obstructions nothing also no wheezing etc etc.
I think that if the blood would come out of my lungs that it would also be present in the Phlegm i cough up or not?
And like i said i only happens in the morning after just waking up, the rest of the day how hard i also try to get blood in my cough i does not happen and believe me i try hard to be sure.
I only cough in the morning the rest of the day nearly not.
What do you think doc ?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

You are right in saying that the blood could not be from the lungs. If it was from the lungs as you say it should be in the phlegm and usually in the first sample itself.Further on if the blood was from the lungs then for sure you would be having severe cough due to the damage which is bleeding.The early morning cough does suggest that it is due to dryness and this happens due break in the superficial layers of throat mucosa which is congested with blood due to lying position all the night.

Based on your detailed description I would consider the blood would be due to broken mucosal membrane of the throat. This is a very common condition which occurs either due to weakened mucosal layers or due to dryness.Weak mucosal layers is seen in Vitamin C deficiency.

I suggest you to take Vitamin C supplements like Tab LIMCEE once daily in the morning after food.Also do gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE solution to prevent such mucosal breakups.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further

Follow-up: Cough, saliva contains blood, dry mouth, cough only in morning. Lungs normal. What could be the reason? 2 days later
Hi Doc

Thanks for your good answer, just a little last question.
I have noticed that when i have the blood in my saliva, i always have acid reflux in my throat ?
Is there a connection between this and your last online diagnosis ?
And is it possible that the vitamin c deficiency can also cause the eyelid to pulsate if you know what i mean.

Best regards
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes , the acid reflex can render the throat mucosa friable and cause bleeding even with minor trauma.

The twitches or the flutter in the eye lid is not related to the vit C deficiency.It is a totally different entity where nerve weakness is the cause.

Wish you good health.