Cough and cold still persists even after consuming cheston cold and homes ginger syrup. Why?

my daughter has cough since last three days...i have given her cheston cold..with ginger honey home syrup..there is a slight improvement..but cough is wet and still remains
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 4 hours later

Thank you for posting in your query.

The symptoms you have given here point to an upper due to viruses or bacteria.

The ideal treatment for any upper respiratory infection is:
1. Plenty of warm oral fluids like ginger water, jeera water, soups, milk with turmeric, etc.
2. Steam inhalation would help her to relieve any nasal congestion.
3. Anti-histaminics to reduce the runny nose, coughing and also to put the child to sleep.
4. Anti-pyretics to reduce the fever.
5. Antibiotics to treat or prevent bacterial infection.
6. To keep the head end of the bed raised so that she could not cough in the night and would sleep well.

Cheston syrup contains anti-pyretic and anti-histaminic combination. It is good that you have already started it.

Most children get viral cold and cough in the winter season. If your child is playful, active and otherwise eating well, you don't have to worry much. Continue the syrup and the home remedies

If she becomes dull, has fever or starts wheezing, it would be better to visit a pediatrician and get her evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.