Costochondritis, taken painkiller, anti-inflammatory, cortisone, history of pleurisy. Check B12 level?

I have been suffering with costochondritis since XXXXXXX 2011 after having what they believe is pleurisy. Aside from pain killers and anti-inflammatories, I have had three cortisone injections. Nothing seems to help. Should I have my b12 levels looked at? I hAve seen a pulmonologisy, cardiologist as well to rule other things out. Should I be seeing some other sort of specialiist? Thank you!!
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Costocondritis is often misdiagnosed as a cardiac pain. It is good that you your cardiac and pulmonary status are normal.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope you are not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.