Coronary artery bypass graft, continuous renal replacement therapy, blood urea. Chances of survival?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi ,

This is Srinivas from India.My mother in law had a coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery on 2nd January 2012 and again she had one more CABG on 6th january 2012 as she had blocks in the graphts and also her blood pressure and heart beat was down. She even had a cardiac arrest at that time. Now both her kidneys got failed and she had a Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy (CRRT) twice and now slowly the urine is coming out but the creatinine levels are in between 4.8 - 5.2 range for the last three days and the Blood Urea is in between 198 - 278 and the blood sugar is in between 285 - 370 since last three days. She even had a hemodialysis once last week and also had a Bronchoscopy for the lungs as there is some clot inside the lungs. The patient's behaviour is not normal and she says that she will die soon.She is currently in Apollo Hospitals - Visakhapatnam, India. Request you to tell me what are the chances for her survival as there are several complications?

Warm Regards,
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
I can understand your concern regarding your mother in law.
It is difficult to predict the exact prognosis under the given circumstances as a physical examination and a complete evaluation of the patient’s reports is required. It is possible that this may just be an acute condition and things get better with time. The exact outcome cannot be predicted with certainty.
I would like to add that support and love from the family members greatly aids recovery. I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.