Contracted right kidney with residual pelvicalyceal system dilatation. What does this mean?

Question
contracted right kidney with residual pelvicalyceal system dilatation
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

It is observed that a better description of the problem improves the satisfaction rates of the user and the expert who answers it. I am sure you would describe the events well during your follow up. Let me give a general answer here.

Contracted kidney with pelvi-calyceal system dilatation are indicative of long standing obstructive Uropathy.If anything compress kidney/ureter from inside or outside then the urine can not drain properly and causes dilatation of pelvi-calyceal system and if this condition persist for long time then kidney become contracted due to back pressure of urine.

Most important cause of this type of condition is renal calculus. There may be other renal cause like congenital uretero-pelvic junction anomaly or obstruction that can produce this type of disease in your age group.

But particularly in woman some tumor or abscess of ovary, uterus and of uterus can produce this type of picture.

Some routine investigation like Ultrasound - whole abdomen can be very effective to detect the cause and blood investigations like urea, creatinine, Na, K are essential to diagnose renal function.

Consult a Urologist for opinion and the required investigations to be done and follow his advise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Thanking you,

Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Contracted right kidney with residual pelvicalyceal system dilatation. What does this mean? 16 hours later
what treatment i want to take up. by this disease i can be pregnant or not

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

In your case, the treatment depends on diagnosis.

If you have renal calculi then treatment depends on size, site, shape, type, symptoms and renal function status. However, the ultimate treatment is lithotripsy or surgical procedure but when to do this depends on the above-mentioned factors.

If you have problem in ovary, uterus, cervix then also in majority of cases treatment is operative.

So best way is to consult an Urologist for opinion and the required investigations, which I mentioned earlier to be done and follow his advice.

About pregnancy, if you have renal calculi then you will be able to become pregnant for sure. However, if you have ovary, uterus or cervix problem then also do not worry as in majority of the cases uterus and ovary is preserved so in that case you do not have any problem to get pregnant.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer, and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Thanks,

Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Contracted right kidney with residual pelvicalyceal system dilatation. What does this mean? 46 minutes later
i cannot understand that what treatment should be taken u can ask ur urologist doctor and please tell me

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 25 minutes later

If there is a problem of long standing obstructive Uropathy in you, then further investigations in the form of renal function tests, dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) scan and diethylenetriamine-pentaacetic acid (DTPA) scans need to be done and the cause has to be treated accordingly. This is possible only with the expert guidance of an Urologist.

In case it is renal calculi, the options available are ESWL (Percutaneous nephrolithotomy) based on the site and size of the calculus.

I am sorry, I cannot comment on the exact treatment option in you, as I have not examined you physically.

Please follow my suggestions in the earlier reply.

Wish you good health.

Thanks,

Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Contracted right kidney with residual pelvicalyceal system dilatation. What does this mean? 2 hours later
now a problem is stomach is paining monthly in a week because of this disease

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 7 hours later
Hi.

The stomach pain can simply be due to gastritis or inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Avoid spicy foods, cigarettes, alcohol ; eat small meals every 3-4 hours and speak with your physician about a drug called omeprazole. This will greatly help relieve the problem.
The stones issue that you have needs to be treated urgently. Please see a physician as soon as possible.

Wish you good health.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly