Constipation, watery stools, weight loss. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
constipated for ten days but passing runny almost clear thick liquid. have lost some weight.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The passage of clear thick liquid while being constipated is suggestive of passage of mucus in stools.
Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools. But passing stools with visible amounts of mucus could be from one of several different diseases or conditions.

Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and ulcerative colitis, and is seen to a lesser degree in Crohn's disease. Bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause the passage of mucus along with stool.

Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here. These basic test are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.

I encourage you to consult your primary physician and get the relevant investigations done.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.