Constipation, stomach swelling, abdominal pain. Had total hysterectomy. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 28, female. Suffering from constipation every day, not occasionally, EVERY DAY for 6 years. Daily swelling of stomach, (I look pregnant) wake up, stomach is flat, within an hr of morning, I begin to swell, also Pain in lower left abdomen. Have had total hysterctomy so I know it's not overies and gallbladder has been checked. I've tried fiber, laxatives, lots of water, ibs diets and medications. I am very active, thin, in good shape, but stomach is huge. EVERYTHING that I eat or drink makes me fill up like a balloon.My blood sugar stays around 38-60, not sure if that has anything to do with any of this. I am miserable, i've had 6 surgeries since the age of 22, tired of Dr. bills, just want to feel normal. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you have abdominal pain, pass a lot of gas frequently ?

Does the abdominal bloating get relieved after passing stool ?

IBS in your case appears to be constipation predominant or also known as IBS-C. The symptoms include abdominal bloating, abdominal pain, passing gas, diarrhea or constipation etc. This is aggravated by emotional stress, sleep deprivation and consuming food with lactose or gluten.The abdominal bloating generally gets relieved on passing stool.

The pain you experience in the abdomen could be attributed to the indigestion and gas production due to IBS. Kindly consume a diet XXXXXXX in fibre and avoid lactose or gluten containing food. You can take a tablespoon of Agiolax granules everyday for proper bowel motion. These will relieve the abdominal bloating.

Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day. Do Yoga everyday for stress relief. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. All these will help reduce symptoms of IBS due to immunomodulation, stress relief and mood enhancing effects.

Regarding low blood glucose, it would be advisable to get a CT Scan or Ultrasound to look for any lesions in the Pancreas like an Insulinoma, especially if you have hand tremors, palpitations, sweating, blurry vision, giddiness during some times of the day.

Treatment for IBS include mainly Tricyclic anti-depressants, Agiolax like laxatives, Tegaserod which is a new medication effective in constipation predominant IBS as yours, Cognitive Behavior therapy and hypnosis. Do discuss about these treatment modalities with your Doctor.

I can understand your concern and valid exasperation regarding your medical history and present condition. Kindly do follow the above mentioned tips for best results.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.