Constipation & hard stool causing hemorrhoids after taking diovan with diltiazen and hydodhlorothiazide. Possible?

Been taking diovan 160 with diltiazen and hydodhlorothiazide. Since taking the Diovan I've been experiencing constipation and hard stool causing Hemmorhoids. Is this possible
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Tab diovan contains valsartan which is an angiotensin receptor blocker, it causes side effects but not like what you have explained. It is actually known to cause diarrhea as a side effect.

You are facing diffiulty in passing motion not because of your medications.
Please XXXXXXX a general surgeon for an physical examination to rule out any obstruction like haemorrhoids.

In the mean time you can use the following advises

1. Eat a high fibre diet. Containing white meat and lots of vegetables. Banana in particular is a very good laxative

2. Drink plenty of water. This will help soften your stool

3. Lactulose syrup 10 ml in the night is usually prescribed. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for the prescription

4. Fruits with skin like apples, pears,etc

These measures will certainly improve your current situation

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health