Constipation, cramps, diarrhea, muscle weakness. Blood work, colonoscopy and endoscopy normal

I have been having constipation and severe cramps followed by diarrhea since March. Colonoscopy, endoscopy and blood work have all been normal. I have also been having muscle weakness and have recently noticed that the weakness in my legs seems to be getting worse. I am not a heavy drinker, I try to eat healthy because I need to lose weight and I take vitamin supplements with extra B12. CT scan was also normal.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

It is quite possible that you might be having Irritable Bowel Syndrome ; since all your blood work, endoscopy and colonoscopy have come back as normal.

Try to find out the trigger factors. Maintain a food diary and see on which days the symptoms are aggravated ,and by which foods. By trial and error you should be able to avoid foods that worsen your symptoms.

In addition to the medications already prescribed by your doctor,the other measures that you might want to follow are:

1. If you are overweight, do try to reduce your weight.
2. Avoid XXXXXXX fried ,oily food,spicy food, carbonated beverages, alcohol & smoking.
3. Do yoga/relaxation exercise to reduce stress. Stress contributes to irritable bowel syndrome. I would advise you to sign up for yoga classes. It would help you physically and mentally. However, results are not immediate. You will have to do it regularly to get good results.
4. Regular exercise 30-45 minutes daily for 5 days a week.
5. Have smaller frequent meals rather than 3 large meals.
6. Have warm water at regular intervals.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan