Ask a Dentist   »  

Constant wetness of the corners of mouth. Wisdom tooth removal done. Are these related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm noticing that the corners of my mouth are constantly wet. My bottom lip also appears to be drier than usual, but the wetness in the corners of my mouth is more noticeable to me. I had my wisdom teeth removed about 6 weeks ago and noticed this wetness shortly after healing. Could it be related to that? If not, what else can cause this?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Constant wetness of the corners of your mouth is suggestive of excessive salivation. This is not likely to be related to the removal of your wisdom tooth.
In most of the cases a psychological cause like anxiety is found. The organic causes that need to be ruled out include-
* Infection in your mouth
* Medications, such as clozapine, isoproterenol, pilocarpine and reserpine
* Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in your mouth)
* Acute sinusitis
* Allergies
* Chronic sinusitis
* Tumors that affect your tongue or lip movement
I would encourage you to XXXXXXX your health care provider to rule out any possible causes before attributing it to be due to psychological reasons.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.