Constant pain in outer thighs and lower buttocks. Feels like bruise. How to treat this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had constant pain in both my upper outer thighs and lower buttocks. It feels like severe bruising but no bruising is evident and I don't know of any trauma. Getting up from sitting or lying is painful and walking around and especially climbing stairs I am like an old man. I am only 46!
This has been going on for several weeks gradually getting worse.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

From description buttock and Outer Thigh Pain seems due to the Hip Joint arthritis.
Arthritis of the hip joint is somewhat common later in life, and occasionally occurs earlier when there has been considerable stress to the joint or when the socket is especially shallow. These forms of arthritis are due to wear that destroys the smooth cartilage that lines the joint. Hip arthritis may also develop as part of broader inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and ankylosing spondylitis.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile for pain relief take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
Hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.