Constant cough and vomiting brown liquid. Lung x-ray clear. What am I suffering from?

Feb 2013

Hi I have been seeing a doctor for a few weeks due to a constant cough. He has given me a lung X-ray (clear) and an asthma spirometers an reversibility test (not asthma). He has doubled my dose of omeprazole (I have a lap band and have reflux) and I've been taking the double dose for around a week. Sometimes I throw up clear water but have been awake since 2am (6am here now) throwing up brown liquid. I'm due to take my mum out today but wonder if I should be concerned that the liquid is brown?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
Vomiting of brown liquid is a concerning thing.
Upper gastrointestinal bleeding (esophagus, stomach) will present with coffee ground brown color vomitings.
The brown color of the liquid in vomitus is due to the reaction of the acid that present in the stomach with the blood giving it brown color.
And the bleeding may be due to some tear in the lower end of the esophagus due to repeated vomitings, or any erosive gastritis or any ulcer in the stomach.
So I advise you to consult your Physician immediately and go for further evaluation including upper gastrointestinal endoscopy if required after the consultation.
Hope I have answered your query, and if you have any query please let me know.