Consistent severe headaches, body aches. Viral infection or toxic poisoning?

For ten days I have had consistent severe headaches (back of head mostly..or top as well) and bad body aches and only slight quesi-ness and my sinus's are hurting. I had the same in a minor way a few times in the summer. It seems like a long time for me to feel consistently bad with no signs of let up.
What bugs me is that it started while I was in a meeting in a closed room with new carpet/adhesive smell..I actually left it after 20 minutes when I felt my head fill up. After I left I felt sicker and sicker...
coincidence? or have I been toxic /poisoned?
I was in the same office a few months ago and left sick as well....but was the same returning symptoms that I had a week before so I didn't attribute it to the fumes.
I can't tell if I have some random nagging viral bug that came on twice in the new carpet room...and a few other times as well not being exposed to the office (but not as bad symptoms)
why is this lasting soooo long and when will it lift , if in fact it is a result of fumes? or when will it lift if it is just viral??? I feel awful!
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Headache, queasiness in sinuses, body aches, etc especially after exposure to a carpeted room sounds like a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the carpets and environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, body aches, headache,etc. These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks.

I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why
I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. There may be a superadded bacterial infection that may need antibiotics. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Consistent severe headaches, body aches. Viral infection or toxic poisoning? 40 minutes later
So - this can be considered a viral infection not some sort of toxic poisoning?

So as like most virus's - it runs its natural course?- and that I can speed recovery with good attitude and good practices?

I am just concerned that have some bizarre infection that will last and last!!!

If it's a run of mill virus..I can move through it.

Many Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are not suggestive of any kind of toxicity. Rather it seems to be due to viral infection only.Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.
Wishing you an early recovery.