Condom broke. Risk of HIV infection

Condom broke, my risk of HIV infection
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Radhika 31 minutes later

The risk of HIV infection is there only if your partner is infected.If you have any open sores or wounds there is again a higher risk.

It is better to find out the HIV status of your partner.If it not possible to find out, you will have to get tested for it.

You could do screening tests for HIV like ELISA. They are not confirmatory. Usually HIV ELISA sometimes take about 6 months to become positive.

In this period, called the WINDOW PERIOD, all the HIV tests are negative except the p24 antigen testing. So you can opt for p24 test which can show if infection is present at the earliest, that is 4 weeks.

The most confirmatory test will be a Western Blot test. All tests for HIV should be repeated after 6 months of Exposure .

Do not worry about it.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Wishing you good health and good luck.

Follow-up: Condom broke. Risk of HIV infection 44 minutes later
Thank you , I do not have any wounds or open sores, I'm am also circumsized , I how ever. Do not know the status of my partner, her reaction to the situiation is that she is worried about getting pregnant, and that she is safe from STD, but I cannot trust her word,in all possibilities let say she is HIV positive, how great is my chance of infection?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

According to various studies the risk factor due to sex with an unknown partner or Unknown status or HIV status of the partner is around 0.04 or 0.06 %.

Since you do not have any open sores, it is a good thing.

Anyway to be on a safer side it always better to check your HIV status with the above mention tests.

Hope I have answered your query.