Complete disruption of anterior cruciate ligament, cleavage tear of the lateral meniscus after an injury. What is the best method of treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
in left knee i have problem while playing i fell down, and it was complete disruption of anterior cruciate ligament at mid segment andcleavage tear at body and posterior horn of lateral meniscus give best method of treatment advice in india and aboroad
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
A complete disruption of anterior cruciate ligament is best treated by a reconstruction surgery by arthroscopy or an open surgery.
ACL reconstruction surgery uses a graft to replace the ligament. The most common grafts are autografts using part of your own body, such as the tendon of the kneecap (patellar tendon) or one of the hamstring tendons.
Both the techniques are available in India as well as abroad.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Complete disruption of anterior cruciate ligament, cleavage tear of the lateral meniscus after an injury. What is the best method of treatment? 13 hours later
sir, i understood that arthroscopic surgery is best as per your advice,
regarding this in banglore who is specialist or which hospital is best and
normally how much it cost and is this ACL reconstruction surgery is minor operation or major operation and its success rate ,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
For arthroscopic surgery, you can approach the multispeciality hospitals in Bangalore like Apollo. I do not have any personal references for any arthroscopic surgeon. The success rate depends on the expertise of the surgeon. Normally success rate is more than 95%.
It is a minor procedure and you can be discharged the same day also.
Regarding the cost of the treatment, it depends on the place and varies from hospital to hospital. The total cost of medicines, duration of stay in the hospital are also variable according to the associated problems and complications. The cost also varies with the procedure undertaken.
Your treating orthopedician can give you the best estimate of your expenses after a careful assessment.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.