Complaining of pain during urination after swimming in highly chlorinated water. Tip of penis is red. Help?

Feb 2013

My 11-year-old son just came from swimming in the pool of a friend that he says was heavily chlorinated. He was in excrutiating pain after urinating, and the tip of his penis was red. I am thinking that drinking water might help flush out whatever chlorine is in there, but is there anything else we can do for him? The poor boy is suffering mightily.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern.

It seems your child have developed irritation of mucosa at the tip of penis due to the heavily chlorinated swimming pool water.

You can give plenty of water to drink which will flush the chlorine from the penis.

The reddened tip of penis is the source his pain.

You can apply a petrolatum jelly such as Vaseline locally over the red area on the tip of his penis which will cause soothing effect on mucosa and decreases the pain.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.