Cold with fever and sore throat after shoulder surgery. Having diarrhoea, red rash on forearm. Infection?

Jan 2013

Hi, I had a really bad cold last week with a fever (101F after staggering motrin and tylenol) and a very sore throat after shoulder surgery. So, since I had a refill for a z-pack, I filled it and completed all 5 days...ending several days ago. Fever went away. Throughout, I had a very upset stomach and was nauseous, My 6 year old also came down with a stomach flu - vomiting and diarrhea. Now, I have diarrhea and a dry, red rash on one forearm (very few bumps on the other). I had a follow-up exam on the shoulder, healing nicely, no infection there. Is a rash common with a stomach flu? Should I go see a doctor tomorrow? Oh, as for painkillers, I stopped taking Norco one day after the surgery, so I don't think that's an issue.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 53 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described details, there appears to high possibility of Acute viral gastroenteritis secondary to throat infection.
Past history of cold with appearance of diarrhea & rash suggests the diagnosis.
Rash may or may not appear with any sort of viral infection.
All viral infections are self limiting in nature and persist for at least 3-5 days.
Rash also subsides after control of viral infection.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.

You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, renal function test.
You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.
If itching is present in rash then you should also take anti-allergic medications.

You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.
Avoid cold rinks, oily food and curd.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava