Cold with chronic bronchitis. Had chest x-ray. What are the findings from the report?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have bad cold with chronic bronchitis often turning cold into difficulty into breathing. I had a chest xray done which revealed prominent hilar shadows. the TLC count is 12k, lymphocytes count 4.76k Please let me know The x-ray reports say: Central Trachea Normal cardiac size Prominent Hilar Shadows Rest clear lung fields Clear pleural sac Normal Bony cage and soft tissue
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need bronchodialator and antiallergen Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case. As per your symptoms and report there is possibility of allergic or tubercular involvement. You may need to take bronchodilators and antiallergen consulting your doctor. As eosinophils are raised there is probability of allergic involvement. I will advise you to do PFT and further investigation for tubercular infection Till time you can start decongestant medication and if required antibiotic. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Cold with chronic bronchitis. Had chest x-ray. What are the findings from the report? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your advice. To help you in making a better decision, here's some history: I had got pneumonia few days after I was born and always had a history of bad cold turning into bronchitis. Also, does the hypertension any way relates to the respiratory problem? About tubercular infection, what can be the further investigations (preferably non-invasive)? And what are the chances & how serious is it? Thanks Sorry, I don't want to dishonor you in any way but won't it make more sense for a respiratory/ lungs specialist to answer my question?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Mantoux test, sputum culture, ESR and PCR Detailed Answer: Hello As per your history it suggests your respiratory system is weak since birth, so you need extra care to maintain it. I will advise you to improve your immunity by herbs exercises and healthy diet. Also you can improve your lung capacity by yoga and pranayama. If you are having congestive heart failure due to hypertension then respiratory system can be involved. For tubercular infection you can do mantoux test, sputum culture, ESR and PCR all non invasive.Chances and seriousness cant be commented with out clinical examination. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care