Cold, pain, numbness and burning sensation in the left side of face, head and arm. Worrisome

Neurologist
Question
Ive been experiencing some pain on the left side of my body.. starting from the back of my brain, towards the middle and through to the top, just over my left eye... the bridge of nose feels a little numb and my left arm feels like it changes from a burning sensation to then feeling cold.. this is quite worrisome for me at the moment and im getting an annoying ring out my ear too
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
The symptoms of sensory disturbance in the left side of face, head and left arm are likely to arise from a lesion in the thalamus of the brain. Also you have ringing sensation in the ear which is likely to arise form the same thalamic lesion or the involvement of the 8th cranial nerve.
You need to consult a neurologist as soon as possible and get evaluated. You will need to undergo MRI scan of the brain and few other tests to reach a diagnosis. The treatment will depend on the cause found on the investigations.
Hope that answers your query. if you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Cold, pain, numbness and burning sensation in the left side of face, head and arm. Worrisome 50 minutes later
Just to add my head feels like there is so much pressure at the moment..Now i dont know if this is anxiety related but im just so confused at the moment..
How does a lesion in the thalmus of the brain occur?
Will a CT scan suffice or does it have to be an MRI?

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 8 minutes later
Since heaviness of head could be related to brain problem itself so i would not ignore it by just labeling as anxiety related.
This is not to scare you but a lesion in thalamus could range from a bleed, infarct, tumor etc.
I would prefer MRI over CT scan for evaluation.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Cold, pain, numbness and burning sensation in the left side of face, head and arm. Worrisome 27 hours later
Just to add ive come off Lexapro due to anxiety as it wasnt working.. i was only it for 6 weeks (20mgs)..could the headaches / migraines be due to the withdrawal??
should i still get my tests done regardless?

You should get your tests done for these symptoms to rule out serious problems. The withdrawal from Lexapro should not cause the symptoms. Since anxiety was severe enough to start medication so your symptoms could in fact be due to anxiety. However an evaluation will help.
Good luck.