Cold, cough and tingling in throat. Suggest medication

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
Hello doctor i had a bad cold & cough 1 month ago where i had tonsils also & even for few days lost my voice that went away within a week but after that a tingle had started in my throat which makes me constantly coughing & even producing muscus the colour is white but in morning & sometime in evening its colour is light black pls doctor advise me about the best medicine to take so that i might become normal & this tingling or inflammation in throat ends.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Regarding the problem of cough with sputum, it can be due to:
1. Allergic reaction to any environmental allergen
2. Dryness of the throat due to inadequate hydration
3. Local irritation of the respiratory passage due to smoking.

Management consists of:

1. Antihistamine preparation like Allegra
You can use it during an acute attack.

2. Montelukast preparations- used as a maintenance therapy.

3. Anti-tussive preparations for symptomatic relief from cough

4. Symptoms aggravating in the presence of a superimposed respiratory tract infection needs to be managed with antibiotics.

5. Also make sure that you are well protected from exposure to cold, dust & other allergens.

6. Sputum can be thinned out by maintaining adequate hydration & avoiding cold food and drinks.
Steam inhalation therapy will also be helpful.

7. Adequate voice rest

8. Avoid smoking, taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

Since they are prescription medications, kindly consult your Physician & get a prescription for the medications.

Wishing you a good health.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Follow-up: Cold, cough and tingling in throat. Suggest medication 7 hours later
Dr it will be very helpful for me if u can reply ur answer in a layman language & prescribing me which medicine i have to take from morning to evening earlier when i had cough a month ago visited a ent he prescribed me cefixime 250mg levocetrizine & paracetomal i stopped taking them after 4 days from the date it was prescribed as i got well but after few days this tingle started with sputum & cough worst in night & early morning pls prescribe me which medicine i have to take at which time.

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Presented with similar complaints, I usually treat my patients with:

1. Tablet Allegra 60 mg twice a day or Tablet Levocetrizine 10 mg in the evening
2. Tablet Montelukast 10 mg in the evening.
3. Grilinctus syrup 5 ml to be taken 3 times a day.
4. Voice rest- avoid talking in loud voice & for a long time.
5. Stay protected from exposure to cold, dust & other allergens. The black sputum in evening is due to dust & pollution.
6. Steam inhalation.
7. Avoid smoking, cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.
Wishing you a Good Health.