Cluster of rashes below breast,swollen,reddish

Hi, I am a 35 year old female i weigh 80.5kg and i am 1.59m tall.I have been married for 8 years and have to children. Recently after bathing I noticed a cluster like pepperish reddish rash below my breast and my back on the left side of my body were my bra strap lies. I need to know what could have caused it and how to treat it. The rash looks slightly swollen.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for the query,

I would like to know few things over here.

1) How long you have been having this.
2) Any associated symptoms (like itching or burning sensation or pain,fever etc)
3) Do you see any blisters .
4) please specify the site of the lesion (is it near to the buckles of the bra).

There are couple of possibilities here: one is a fungal infection and other being a allergic contact dermatitis to the buckle of the bra.

A fungal infection at this site is very common because of the occlusion and the sweat.

Even an allergic reaction to the buckle is common.These buckles usually contain nickel to which one can be allergic.

Treatment would depend upon the exact diagnosis.

The clinical look of the lesion would be better to suggest you further on this. You can consider sending me a close up picture of the lesion which would help me further. You can send it at YYYY@YYYY and kindly mention "ATTN Dr.Bharat Chawda" as a subject. Also please reply to this mail saying that you have enclosed a picture.

Perhaps a visit to dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

Please reply back with the above answers and mail the photos as this will help me in answering you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Cluster of rashes below breast,swollen,reddish 17 hours later
I noticed it on my body on Friday, July 15th, 2011. I have a burning sensation and it seems the rash are like little blisters. The one under my breast is where the bra has the elastic and support iron and at the back, it is under the elastic and bra buckle. I am enclosing a picture of my back.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 5 hours later

Thank you for the reply.

I have looked at the pictures sent to me. The lesions looks like very fine blisters over an erythematous base .

You have not mentioned any thing about the fever.

The possible causes are

1. Herpes zoster - Herpes zoster is a viral condition where in one gets multiple grouped blisters over erythematous base. It is usually associated with fever and malaise. Infact it is preceded by any stressful condition like travelling or lack of sleep, lifting heavy weight etc. And this is seen in patients who have already been exposed to or have suffered varicella (chicken pox) at any time in their life.

Herpes zoster needs urgent attention as it may be painful in days to come. We usually start with anti-viral medicine with in 48 hrs of the lesion.

2. Allergic contact dermatitis (possibly to the buckle of the bra). Usually in allergic condition patient complain of itching and oozing .

The treatment of this would be use of any good topical steroid.

I encourage you to consult a dermatologist as soon as possible and start proper treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

“ Wish you Good Health”

Dr.Bharat chawda