Chronic patient of Crohn's disease. Colonoscopy shows lot of inflammation and ulcers in rectum. Any cure?

My name is XXXXXXX and I am a chronic patient of Crohn's disease. My recent colonoscopy shows there is lot of inflmmation and ulcers in rectum and terminal ilieium area.
Please suggest how to get rid of these ulcers. I am currently on steriods (Predmet) to reduce the inflammation.
I have also heard that raw potato juice will heals ulcers. is it true.
Please also suggest if raw cabbage juice help me to get rid of ulcers.
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concern here.

I can understand that you have chronic Disease Crohn's disease. At present you are having acute flare up and lot of inflammation. You are rightly prescribed steroids to control the inflammation, please continue to take your medicines regularly. This disease may be brought under remission and currently cannot be cured.

Let us wait for your Histo-pathology report and inform me as soon as it comes. What can possibly help in this disease is the following.
1.     If you smoke you must completely stop it.
2.     Take enough water to keep good hydration.
3.     You may take small and frequent meals.
4.     Avoiding milk protein may help some patients.
5.     Identify any food item which increases your symptoms, may be avoided.
I doubt about possibility of potato or cabbage juice able to heal ulcers.

Hope this information will help you to understand disease better.

If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer.

Dr, Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Chronic patient of Crohn's disease. Colonoscopy shows lot of inflammation and ulcers in rectum. Any cure? 13 hours later
Thanks Dr for your reply.
Histopathology report shows there is inflammation (sorry I didnt attach the report).

Since there are ulcers around rectal region, there are blood traces in my motion everyday which is a worrying factor for me.

1. Is it ok to have curds.
2. please suggest some food through which I can gain weight. I am very much under weight (45 kgs, 5'10" height).
3. My motion quantitiy is too large. I get a feeling that whatever I get, I throw out through motion. Any remedy for this.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for your input.

I have seen your history pathology reports it is suggestive of Inflammatory Bowel disease.
About the diet in such cases you should keep a Food diary, any food which increases your symptoms must be avoided. In acute stage avoid even curd.

You should avoid sugar and Starch (Potato, Rice) in the diet along with dairy products.
You should take buttermilk, fruits, and XXXXXXX vegetable and animal proteins if you take non veg food and nuts.

This will help to reduce stool volume.

A supplementation of Multivitamin with micro nutrients should be taken.

In acute stage suitable antibiotics may be given to reduce bacterial overgrowth.

I hope steroids work for you otherwise there are many other immunosuppressive drugs which may be used in consultation with your Gastroenterologist.

If you take care of your diet and your disease is controlled by steroid later on you may continue anti inflammatory drugs.

I am sure you will gain some weight.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any further query, please feel free to ask me.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Chronic patient of Crohn's disease. Colonoscopy shows lot of inflammation and ulcers in rectum. Any cure? 4 hours later
can I have Biscuits. The ingredients on the biscuits packets says it has milk solids. I am not sure whether I can have biscuits everyday evening.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 17 minutes later

You should not take biscuits as they contain a milk solid which contains casein (Protein).

They also have Trans fats which is not good.

You can see if there is improvement in your condition or not.

Once your acute flare up subsides then you can try 1-2 /day.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey