Chronic migraine. Taken topamax, taking implanon for birthcontrol. Is there a drug interaction?

I have chronic migraines and take 200mg of topamax/day, I have recently been put on implanon for birth control, I have read online that the topamax makes the implanon less effective, is this true? and how much less effective does it make it. I already have 3 children and really dont want anymore...thanks
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 56 minutes later

Topamax makes the implanon less effective, this is true. The quantitative assessment has not been done in studies so it is difficult to comment how much less effective does it make. You should discuss other family planning options with your family planning doctor, may be intrauterine contraceptive devices are better choice for you.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best wishes.