Chronic cough, throat pain, swelling, non smoker, allergy medication not working. Causes ?

Hello, I am coughing for months but now I cannot stop coughing and my throat is hurting an swollen. I don't smoke and my doctor gave me allergy medication but no help.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 minutes later

What you are having is chronic cough (one lasting eight weeks or longer). Some common causes of chronic cough include asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus problems (for example sinus infection), post nasal drip and esophageal reflux of stomach contents.

Infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia and chronic bronchitis (inflammation of your major airways) can also cause coughing. These infections can be caused by virus, bacteria or fungus.

You need a detailed examination from a chest physician and certain investigations. These include x-ray and CT chest, pulmonary function studies and allergy tests to rule out allergies causing these symptoms. If sinus infection is suspected then transillumination tests and x-ray sinuses may be required.

Till that time, try inhaling steam and eat more of fruit. Research suggests that diets high in fruit ,fiber and flavonoids may prevent chronic productive cough.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.