Chronic cough, no fever, running nose, chest congestion. Treatment ?

hi doctor, my son is near 11months old and he has has such a bad cough this has been goin on for 3months now hes been to hospital 3times seen a gp had xray and seems to b ok it cleared up for two days and now back to coughing again which wakes him up im up every half hour at night during day he doesnt really cough only wen he sleeps an if he is lying down for a nap too in the living room i just want rid of it once an for all wev'v tried everything ps no fever sometimes he gets bit runny nose an others not so much and wen coughs sounds really sore and chesty thanks
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Repeated bouts of dry cough without any infection in the chest is mostly due to allergy or viral infection. In these cases prevention is always better than cure. There are some general measures that can help you in reducing the problem-

1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2.Start antiallergic and antiinflammatory agent like montelukast after getting it prescribed from his pediatrician.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
4. Give him steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Tell the child to inhale it by covering him with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6.Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to throat and chest for 5-10 minutes relieves the inflammation to some extent.
7.Use steroid drops or sprays for suppressing the allergy.
8.Use a humidifier in his room.

You must keep it in mind that such allergic disorders need extreme vigilance and timely treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Chronic cough, no fever, running nose, chest congestion. Treatment ? 2 days later
thanks was helpful and more suggestions as to what my doctor said
do you think then he is allergic to something then?and will this be a persistant on going thing
i will look into getting a humidifier
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It seems to be allergic. Such allergic bouts gradually reduce as the child grows and almost disappear by the age of 12.

Using a humidifier will help him.

Wishing your son an early recovery.