Chronic back pain. Had recurrent miscarriages. MRI showed disc problem, adnexal cysts. Can this be cause of miscarriages & pain during sex?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had four miscarriages and recently been suffering from chronic back pain, MRI results informed me of some discs problems in 3rd, fourth n fith vertibrae, also as having a sub centimeter abnexal cysts, can this be the cause of the miscarriages and pain during sex?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The disc problem and the adnexal cysts can be responsible for pain during the sex but are not likely to cause the recurrent miscarriages that you had.
Adnexal cysts are mostly simple ovarian cysts and do resolve on their own after few cycles.
The disc problem can be treated by taking anti inflammatory medicines and proper physiotherapy under the guidance of your orthopedician.
Recurrent abortions need thorough evaluation. The prognosis and chances of having a successful pregnancy depends on the actual cause.

If the recurrent abortions are seen in first trimester ( before 12 weeks), then causes like infection, chromosomal defects, immunological disorders, hormonal problems, etc need to be ruled out.
If recurrent abortions in second trimester are encountered, then cervical incompetence is a more common cause.

It is important that the reasons of recurrent abortion are sorted by adequate investigations. I encourage you to get the investigations done under guidance of a competent gynecologist. A battery of blood test, ultrasound examination, hysterosalpingography, endocrine workup and others are entailed.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.