Cholestrol, triglycerides. Angioplasty essential?

Hello Doctor , I am 42 years old now in Qatar. I have no cariac issues yet;My father had cardiac problems; I have collestrol & triglicerides for more than 10 years; I have started medicine for the last 3 months; Now I feel I should do an angiogram & if needed angioplasty. Which in cochin is the best hospital & what is the cost ; I will be on vacation from July 5th to July 25'th and will be available in cochin. My weight is 82Kg with height 178. Non alchoholic / non smoker... Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

Although, the rise in the cholesterol is a risk factor for having a coronary artery disease but I am a little surprised you're going in for the angiography and planning for the angioplasty without having any symptoms.

Before going in the angiography which is an invasive test, it makes sense to do a stress echocardiography or a stress ECG to rule out coronary artery disease.

As per the guidelines, an angiography is recommended if there's a strong suspicion of the chest pain being due to angina or if the stress ECG/ECHO are positive for inducible ischemia (compromised blood supply of the heart at the peak exercise).

Lourdes & Lisie hospitals are good ones in Kochi to get the cardiac consultation and procedures done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.