Cholesterol test done showing total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides. Normal test report ?

Oncologist
Question
My total cholesterol is 246, ldl is 123, hdl is 109, triglyceride is 69. Should I be concerned about the high total cholesterol number?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

In your case I would not be concerned about the high total number. The reason for this is that your HDL is an amazing 109. At 109 you have a very low likelihood of developing coronary artery disease. Having a high HDL is actually a negative risk factor in itself - meaning that if you had some other risk factor such as smoking - it would cancel it out so to speak as a risk factor.

An LDL of 123 is also good. Ideally we like to see LDL under 130 so you are already there. Some doctors push for LDL of under 100 but if you have no cardiac history I see no need to advocate for that. If you were my patient i would not start you on medication. Triglicerides are also excellent for you! We like to see those at 150 or less and yours is great at 69.

Overall this is an excellent lipid panel and I am not concerned at all about risk for cardiac disease with these numbers. I see no need for any intervention at this time.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Cholesterol test done showing total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides. Normal test report ? 4 hours later
Thank you doctor! My total cholesterol figure keeps increasing every year....is there a number at which I should start to be concerned?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding the total cholesterol number I would pay less attention to this and more attention to your LDL. You need to make sure the LDL is maintained below 130. If you would like to set a goal you could try to get the number below 115 and this would be a good thing to shoot for. Honestly you have one of the highest HDL cholesterol numbers I have ever seen. This will serve you very well for the rest of your life. If you combine this with a healthy diet and exercise regimen you will continue to enjoy a long and healthy life. I am very confident that your cardiovascular health will be without any significant problems for a long long time with these numbers.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope my answer has been helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Regards.

Dr. Robert