Choking feeling in neck, rough taste buds on tongue. Emergency ?

ENT Specialist
I'm 25 years old

For the last couple of days I've experiencing a little choking feeling in the front of my neck. My tongue has developed rough taste buds. I'm not sure what's goin on. Should I go to the ER?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 55 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I need to know few things before I proceed to give an appropriate explanation of your problem.
1.     Since how many days are you facing this problem?
2.     Do you suffer from, acid reflux from the stomach/gastritis?
3.     Do you smoke?
4.     Do you stay or work in a dry environment?
5.     Any recent history of cold/nasal block associated with this?
6.     Any associated stress?

I will be looking forward for your answers.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Choking feeling in neck, rough taste buds on tongue. Emergency ? 1 hour later
1. I have had the swollen taste buds for about two weeks they come and go. The light choking feeling has been present for a week.

2. I don't suffer from any acid reflux from the stomach.

3. I quit smoking a year ago.

4. I work outdoors in humid environments sometimes.

5. No cold or nasal blockage haven't had a cold in a year and a half.

6. I have had some work and family stress lately.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Welcome back

Thanks for the reply. After going through the history I am of the opinion that the foreign body sensation in the throat could be due to stress related or hypertrophied lingual tonsils.

The former condition which is also termed as ‘Globus’, could be psychological, which worsens during the episodes of stress. This gets relieved once the stress is controlled. The latter condition happens when the lymphoid follicles on the base of the tongue gets enlarged due to an ongoing infection in the throat. The enlarged lymphoid follicles on the base of the tongue also termed as hypertrophied lingual tonsils can cause foreign body sensation in the throat. This can be controlled with oral antibiotics.

The rough taste buds are usually seen during dehydration. Drinking plenty of water can get rid of you from this problem.

None of the above conditions are serious. I would suggest you to consult an apt ENT specialist for a thorough examination of the throat and management of the same. Drink plenty of lukewarm water; avoid oily and chilled food for few days.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts, you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar