Chlamydia positive, discharge and burning after unprotected sex, taken Doxycyline. How confident can I be that it is gone?

I tested positive for Chlamydia three weeks ago. I got tested as I'd had unprotected sex two weeks previous and it was burning quite strongly when I urinated, and there was a very very slight discharge in the mornings or after periods where I hadn't urinated for a while. I was put on Azithromycin that Thursday. Two tablets to be taken at once and was told the symptoms should disappear within 2-3 days. It continued to burn throughout the weekend and when I noticed a slight discharge again on the Monday I went back to the doctor, who then gave me a 7 day course of Doxycycline that finished last Monday morning. The discharge cleared up about three days into this, and the burning had disappeared by the end, aside from a very slight sensation just as I was about to urinate for maybe two days after. This was very mild in comparison to being in pain for the previous two weeks.

I know Chlamydia is, in 50% of male cases asymptomatic, and I also know someone can show symptoms and they can go away. I've also been advised by my doctor to wait six weeks until after the antibiotics as the test for the infection would still show up false positives due to its sensitivity and picking up dead cells. I'm wondering how confident can I be that it's gone? He said the post treatment test is recommended because since it's often asymptomatic, people would have no idea if they've improved or not. That's slightly different to my case, but I'm concerned it's merely coincidental that the symptoms went away while I was on the second course of treatment. My other question is, if I took another test now, would it DEFINITELY show as positive, false or otherwise? Or is there a chance the dead cells could be gone and it could show negative?

Finally, Are the following three statements correct?

- Assuming proper use of a condom with nothing going wrong, I can't pass on Chlamydia during sexual intercourse.
- Without a condom, I can pass it on by receiving oral sex.
- I can't pass it on by giving oral sex (to a woman)

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The disappearance of your symptoms after second course of antibiotics is likely to be due to clearing up of your infection.
If you took another test now then it is likely to be negative. In some cases only it shows a false positive due to the dead cells present.
Condom use protects you from chlamydia transmission.
Yes, without a condom you can get infection by oral sex.
You can also pass it on to a woman by giving her oral sex.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.