Chills, sweating, cramps, diarrhea with mucus, blood, weight loss, fatigue. CT scan, colonoscopy normal. Causes for symptoms ?

I've been experiencing chills, sweats, cramps and diarrhea containing mucous and sometimes black blood. My colonoscopy apparently "looked good," but samples were taken for biopsy. I feel like my docs aren't listening to me. I've been sick for almost 3 months now. I'm weak, fatigued, listless and am afraid to eat anything. My weight has dropped pretty significantly. What can I urge my doctors to test for?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: Chills, sweating, cramps, diarrhea with mucus, blood, weight loss, fatigue. CT scan, colonoscopy normal. Causes for symptoms ? 7 minutes later
Appologies for the auto-correct: symptoms of soy allergy were abdominal *swelling*.

Additionally, I was given a CT scan on my first emergency room visit that also "looked good."
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thanks for the follow up query.

Things which should be considered in your case are: is there any psychological connection such as anxiety or depression. These are common issues which can present with weight loss and gastrointestinal upset.

In addition you should be assessed for celiac disease. This is an allergy to gluten products and can cause bloating, eight loss and diarrhea. Your doctor can check for this with blood tests.

Thyroid dysfunction can also cause this. A simple blood test can check for that.

Lactose intolerance is another possible contributing factor. Diet alteration should help rule that out.

Irritable bowel syndrome can cause bloating, cramps, bowel habit fluctuation and weight loss on occasion. This is a diagnosis of exclusion very often but sometimes there are medications which may help.

I suggest you see a gastronterologist as well as a nutritionist for thorough consultations to assess for what is going on. I do not want you to lose any more weight as you are at a very low weight in my opinion. Focus on calorie dense healthy foods and consider some supplementation with drinks such as boost or ensure.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If there are additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga