Child's hands grey in color. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My 12 year old daughter just showed me her hands - they are greyish in color at the ends of her fingers, and also on the palms of her hands - the part near the thumb...
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

The greyish coloration at some places of the hand with no other associated symptoms like cold hands or palpitation, respiratory distress, etc are not worrisome. This seems to be a physiological variation in the skin color.
The greyish discoloration with cold hands can be suggestive of a cardiac or circulatory problem. This may also be associated with a liver problem.
I encourage you to consult her pediatrician for a physical examination and routine blood tests to rule out any pathologic causes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Child's hands grey in color. What is wrong? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor. There have been no other symptoms like you have suggested here, so hopefully that is good news. If in fact the cause is something you speculated, like a physiological variation, would you expect that subtle discoloration go away? Thanks again, and I will consult our pediatrician. Best, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing again.

If the discoloration is actually a physiological variation then it will subside on its own without any treatment. There is nothing to worry.

Hope my answer is helpful. Let me know if you have any further queries. If you have no further follow ups, please close this discussion.