Child's feet swells after exercise. Elevation helps to go down. What could be the cause?

my 13 year old daughter's feet swells after exercise of walking. elevation helps it go down afterwards. she is of normal weight and has no other co-morbidities
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need investigation... Detailed Answer: Hi, What you describe is termed as "pedal edema" arising from dependent posture. At 13 years of age, dependent edema is not normal. But if the symptoms are cyclical in relation to her periods, then they may be attributed to hormonal changes which does not need medical attention. I would be concerned if the symptoms are a regular daily feature. Pedal edema that occurs every day needs to be investigated. I would order her for cardiopulmonary evaluation, routine hemogram and metabolic work up before I label the cause and its treatment. Therefore if the changes are not cyclical, I would suggest you to consult her pediatrician at the earliest. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards