Child's bowel movement was white and gray. Is this a major problem? Wait for other symptoms?

I have a 3 1/2 year old. He had a bowel movement this morning, and about half of it was whitish or gray. I read this could indicate a major problem. He doesn't have any other symptoms. When should I worry?
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Gray or white stools commonly occurs due to less bile excreted in the stools,which gives it the yellow colour.If this bile is not excreted,the stool appears pale in colour.
The commonest cause is liver disease,or any obstruction in the biliary system.
Stool examination should be done.Some drugs like antacids etc can also change the stools colour.In kids,other causes like worms,parasites,malabsorption syndromes,drug induced,hepatitis are the first causes to be ruled out.
I suggest you take the next sample for a routine stool examination.Along with that an abdominal ultrasound to rule out any obstruction.A hepatitis profile also is important as its the commonest factor in children.
Please see a peaditrician at the earliest and get the tests done.Keep an eye out for any indication of abdominal pain.