Child's EEG report shows generalized seizure disorder. Using Levipil. How long to continue medication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Sir I AAAAA, my son now at 7 month EEG test report is Generalised seizures disorder. presently my son wieght is 7.25 kg and we are using levipil syp how much time it continue and how it will effect
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
As per EEG report, your son has generalized epilepsy. Levipil (levetiracetam) is a good drug to control epilepsy. It has good efficacy and good safety profile.
The minimum duration of treatment is three years. If your son remains free of seizures (fits) during this period, and EEG becomes normal, it may be possible to reduce the dose and stop the medications.
After good treatment of epilepsy, we do not expect any adverse effect on the child's growth and development and he can do well in studies too.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any additional queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Child's EEG report shows generalized seizure disorder. Using Levipil. How long to continue medication? 2 hours later
now my son weight 7.25kg what is dose to take pls mention

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
The starting dose of levetiracetam in your child should be 10 mg/kg given twice daily (20 mg/kg per day). The dose can be gradually increased to 25 mg/kg twice daily (50 mg/kg per day).
The exact dose in the child depends on the effectiveness in controlling seizures as well as any side effects. I suggest you discuss with your treating doctor regarding the exact dose required for your child.
Best wishes,
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad