Child with myopic eyesight. This is due to heredity reason. Cure to reduce power?

my son is 4 years 4 months old and he has myopic eyesight with power of -7.00. this is due to hereditary reasons as his mom has a very high mypoic power (-9) and i have mypoic power of -2.5

I and really worried as he is very young and this may/will increase as his eye grows in size. is there a cure available for high myopic power.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
thanks for sending your query to us.
This power has to keep on increasing with age.
The only thing you can do is to take care of nutrition and general health of the child.
Diet in such cases has a negative value,taking care of diet does not mean that the power will not increase but decrease in general condition will aggrevate the situation.
please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Follow-up: Child with myopic eyesight. This is due to heredity reason. Cure to reduce power? 11 minutes later
Dear Dr Misra

Is there a correction surgery available anywhere in the world for this. I fear that if the power is -7 at age of 4, by the time he is 8-10 years, he may face partial/temprory blindness.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 38 minutes later
there is corrective surgery available which is to be done after 20 yrs of age and after the power has been stabilized for at least 2 years.
So we wait for a while for things to settle down in the meanwhile take care of the diet and general health of the child.