Child with less interest in solid food. Given zeegut sachet. What diet should I give?

Feb 2013

My daughter is now 20 months old. She is showing less interest to eat all of a sudden. She drinks milk twice a day morning and evening. She is showing less interest towards rice rotis, which she used to eat nicely earlier. Please let me know what kind of diet should I give her which is healthy and easy to digest. Can I give her any supplements or with milk. I give her bournvita little champs just to add little tast to milk. Not sure how do I plan and decide on which vegetables and fruits can I make it a must in her diet. Two days ago she passed white or pale stools. I was worried, hence I gave her zeegut sachets for 2 days which resolved the problem. Is white stool concerning ? Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Family pot feeding.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

All of sudden decrease of appetite may be due to mild infection of stomach which caused white stool two days ago.

Nothing to worry as the problem resolved with probiotic zeegut sachets.

Once this mild infection settles down she will regain her appetite.

After 1 year, children show decreased appetite normally because of decreased growth rate which normally occurs in all children.

And children may change preferences to food varieties rapidly and this may be the cause for her less interest towards rice, roti at present.

Try to give more solid food such as rice, dhal, vegetable curries, fruits in her regular diet. Change the menu regularly and cook food items in a attractive way.

Usually milk supplements like horlicks, bournvita little champs are suggested to children above the age of 2 years.

The main aim is to concentrate more on solid foods rather than milk supplements in children below the age of 2 years. You can give all food items which you are cooking for your family. It is called family pot feeding.

You can try giving all varieties of vegetables, but try one by one in a gradual manner.

Give all seasonal fruits. But before giving banana, citrus fruits look for any allergic symptoms like cold and cough as these fruits usually cause frequent colds in some prone children.

White stool may be due to a mild stomach infection and as it resolved with oral probiotic, nothing to worry.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.