Child with high fever, cold and cough. Blood work done. Taking calpol, novamax and maftal-p. Suggest?

Pediatrician
Question
Sir,
My child m/2.5 year ,was suffering from high fever (104 f),cold &cough ,he got CALPOL,NOVAMAX 250,MAFTAL-P,after 2 days he recover .but still he is having cold and cough.
Now he doesn’t have any desire to take a single bite of food. Last 2 days he haven’t take food .he has always vomiting tendency.
I have some investigation report which is as follow:
Lymph% 60.4 High
Gran% 34.7 low
Hgb 10.4 low
HCT 30 LOW
MCV 79 LOW
RDW –SD 31.6%
SGPT-14.66 NORMAL
M.P CART TEST –NEGATIVE
WIDAL TEST NO-AGGLUTION SEEN
ESR 21 HIGH (NORMAL RANGE 0-20)
PLEASE SUGGES ME WHAT SHOULD WE DO.PLEASE PRESCRIBE SOME MEDICINE.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 16 minutes later
Hi dear,

Your child is probably having an upper respiratory infection. You have started antibiotics and please do continue it for atleast five days. If fever has subsided then probably he is improving.

Cough and cold can be present for atleast one to two weeks. But as long as there is no fever and breathing difficulty you need not worry. You can try syrups like Cherricoff half teaspoon; it is usually available over the counter. Try nasal saline drops for nasal block.

While recovery his appetite can be low; but be assured that he will gain appetite after recovering from it. Just keep giving him some fluids like juices, milk, bread with jam, biscuits, water etc. Investigations are not suggestive of anything serious, they look fine.

Don't worry he will be alright soon. His appetite will improve.

If you have any other query I am happy to help or else close the query and kindly rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics