Child with achondroplasia. Having cough, headache at back of head. Given piriton and ibuprofen. Is it a serious problem?

I am sorry to be a nuisance but my daughter is at the hospital now with my grandson and I am worried.... he has achondroplasia and is 9 years old and yesterday after leaving the beach in the car on the ay home there was incessant coughing sounded chesty (he has quite severe hay fever) He then said he had a headache and after about a minute he was almost screaming with pain.. the headache was at the back of his head. He said 'this is impossible' and 'I just want this to be over' and begged to be taken to a doctor or hospital. He does not usually make a fuss when he is ill and has had three limb extension ops at Great Ormond Street. My daughter listened to his chest and gave him piriton and ibuprofen and after about 15 minutes the pain began to subside and we thought that was that ... then she was up in the night with him and early this morning. The paid returned this evening and so they decided to take him to the hospital. He saw a doctor this morning and she advised that they take him to a&e if it returned. I am just waiting and not knowing what is happening is really hard. Do you think it could be serious?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The delay in answering is regretted.
The sudden severe pain at the back of the head in a 9 year old could be due to arteritis, migraine, an injury to the head or an infection.
All these causes can be ruled out after investigations like MRI scan and EEG under the guidance of a neurophysician.
Till then to avoid any further such sudden attacks of pain, do keep him well hydrated and avoid any bright lights or stressful situations.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.