Child with 104 temp, diagnosed acute bronchitis, ear infection. Concerned ?

My daughter starting running 104 temp on Sunday, 4 days ago. Went to immediate care yesterday and they diagnosed her with acute bronchitis and ear infection. Even after starting the antiobiotics she is still running up to 104 this evening. They also realized that two months ago when she was in she weighted 7 pounds more which means 7 pounds lost in less than two months......I am very concerned about my baby? What could this mean?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 35 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern for your daughter.

High grade fever is very common in ear infection. It is good that she has been examined by a doctor.

I do not see any reason for worry. When ever an antibiotic is started it takes around minimum 48 hours depending upon the drug used to build its level in blood to kill the organisms responsible for infection.

In couple of days you should have response to treatment which can be seen by a decrease in temperature, increase in fever duration, patient starts feeling well etc.

Please continue the drugs as advised.

In mean please also do following which should help.

>Give her plenty of fluids. This is very important. Avoid cold drinks.
>Give her light diet
>Ask her to take proper rest
>Give her medicines for fever as per need.

Regarding weight loss please discuss with your doctor about possible reasons like

Nutritional deficiency
Any infection etc.
Improper eating habits etc.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Follow-up: Child with 104 temp, diagnosed acute bronchitis, ear infection. Concerned ? 5 hours later
So, you would not be concerned over 7 pounds of weight loss in such a short period of time? That seems like an awful lot for a child her size?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

I am sorry if I have conveyed a wrong message. I will definitely do not want ignore the weight loss.

That is the reason why earlier I advised to discuss this with your doctor, he will after proper examination may advise some tests which can help to find out the cause.

In any growing child even a minor illness can lead to loss of weight up to 1-2 pounds in routine, which is gained after wards.

Still except weight loss and fever at present if she is not having any other problem I do not expect anything serious.

Please give her good nutritious diet and keep record of her weight on fortnightly basis to have some idea.

Again you doctor after this episode of fever will surely give some vitamin supplements which should help her to gain her weight and recover fast.

Wishing her good health.