Child vomiting and had loose bowels. Rash broke out. Need to consult doctor?

My son is 7 years old. 2 days ago he started vomiting and had loose bowels. Today he broke out with a rash that keeps spreading. The rash is very itchy and red. He has no fever and still active. Should I take him to ER? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Your son is likely to be suffering from Viral Rash with Gastroenteritis. Most of the viral infections subside in 5 days but the rash might take 7-10 days to settle down.

Would like to know a few things:
Where did the rash appear first?
Is it progressing from head to toe area (cephalopedal progression)?
Did it appear in all the areas at one time?
Are they hives like?
Or they are at the level of the skin?
Is your son on any medications at present?
Is it possible for you to download a few pictures of the rash?

I would advise you to keep your son well hydrated and offer him light meal today. Apply calamine lotion on the rash where it itches.

Though your son is well hydrated and active there is no immediate necessity to take him to the ER now; you might still need to fix up an appointment for final diagnoses of the rash.

Get back with the answers so that I could guide you better.

Take Care.