Child vomiting after feeding. What could be the reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 2 years old daughter had vomitting 2 days back. whatever she eats/ drinks including water she puked. and refused to take any food. next day she was normal. but the same has happened 2 weeks back. what could be the reason? i didnt introduce her to any new food before the incident. i have not consulted any doctor before. her appetite is also too low. she sometimes skips breakfast lunch and still not be interested in having dinner. please advice me on this.
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 47 minutes later
In order to give you a most probable diagnosis I would like to know the following details,
1. Is she still teething or she has most of her primary teeth erupted including molars.
2. Is she a fussy eater since the beginning or has her eating habit changed recently .
3. Is she otherwise playful , active , sleeping well.
4. Do you suspect any abdominal pain , diarrhoea or anal itching etc which could be indicative of worm infestation ? Have you given her deworming medicine yet.
5. Was there any change in her place or routine schedule or new event recently like joining playgroup or change of caregiver or birth of sibling etc.

Kindly get back to me with the above so that I can comment on her problem.
Make sure to maintain her hydration by giving plenty of fluids even if she is not eating solids much .
Awaiting for your response.
Follow-up: Child vomiting after feeding. What could be the reason? 12 minutes later
thanks for your reply.

1. yes. but its looking the same since couple of weeks( the second left front cutting teeth)
2. yes. she was. but now its a little too much.
3. she is playful, active but recently she is waking up in between during sleep at night.
4. when it happened first her abdomen was bloated a bit. hence i gave her ohm water. and she was continuously crying. but the next morning she was alright as if nothing happened.
this time her stomach was flat|(looks totally empy)
5. yes i had a weeks vacation at my home town and came. this happened the 3rd day from my arrival. but there was no travel the previous time.

and yes. she was feeling very thirsty tat day and i gave her water (as much she wants). towards the end of the day she felt hungry but refused to eat anything. then she had an XXXXXXX which also she puked before bed.

is there something i had to take care or be cautious/ check about her health.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry . There is nothing to be worried, as of now.
It seems most probably a possible worm infection or less likely could be indigestion or a viral gastroenteritis . Since the latter conditions are self limiting and no specific treatment is required the next best thing you can do is to get her evaluated by her pediatrician for confirming the diagnosis and prescribing a deworming agent like albendazole ( zentel, bandy plus etc).
As for her food habits its common for fussiness and tantrums to increase in this age . But you have to deal it with patience. Try offering a variety of foods at frequent intervals in small quantities . You should also try to involve her in deciding her menu like she can choose between XXXXXXX or bananas as fruit or between dalrice or chapati for lunch etc. The more she enjoys her meal time the better she will chew it , digest it and retain it.
In between meals give her adequate fluids like water, milk , fruit juices etc.
Make sure to practice good hand washing and teach her to do it herself regularly .
As of now you can wait and watch for improvement with deworming .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.