Child vomiting Metrogyl if given any food. Kindly advise.

my 4.5 year son
is prescribed metrogyl by doctor but he is vomiting if given any food . kindly advise
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Metrogyl can cause nausea and vomiting in the children. Now that his loose motions have improved, you can stop giving him metrogyl for a while after consulting his pediatrician. You might need to give him Domstal more frequently and if the vomiting still continues, you need to ask his pediatrician to prescribe stronger anti emetics like ondansetron.
You can take some general measures like-
1. You can start by giving him soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts: Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Give him clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water to help prevent dehydration. You should avoid giving plain water and dark sodas.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Avoid raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.