Child underwent dental root canal and capping, no discomfort or pain after cap coming off. What is the dentist's line of action?

My 4 yr old daughter recently 15 days back underwent a dental root canal and capping procedure.Today morning one of her dental cap came off suddenly.She doesn't feel any discomfort or pain.The dentist has called us again.We are afraid whether she will again ask for root canal on the same tooth.My daughter is extremely afraid of going there and its making us nervous.What could the possible line of action the dentist will now follow?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 38 minutes later

I am glad your daughter has successfully undergone root canal.

Now that her cap has come off, it will have to be replaced to prevent gathering of food particles in the tooth. So you will need to follow up with your dentist and he will do the needful to replace the cap.

As she is not having pain or discomfort, that means the root canal done is fine.

I guess it is only matter of replacing the cap and it will not be a long or painful procedure.

It will hopefully not require anesthesia if she is co-operative and the dentist shall be able to replace the cap.

I think you will have to talk to her and help her overcome her fears.

Please explain her that this time there will be no injections, or pain during the procedure. This time it will not be major surgical procedure so please do not worry.

Hope this answer is helpful to allay your fears and relieve your anxiety.