Child tasted water from bird bath. Mild asthma. Anything serious?

My son is six years old and drank water out of a bird bath in a neighbor's backyard. He was stirring it with a stick and he "tasted" the water. I'm not sure if there were bird droppings in it or not. Is there anything I need to be watching out for or anything that could put him in serious danger? He is a healthy six year old but does have mild childhood asthma.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 53 minutes later

Thanks for your query..

Stagnant water may be contaminated with bacteria, protozoa like amoeba and if there are bird droppings and secretions in it then there is chances of influenza viruses or Chlamydia.

I wish he remains healthy but you must monitor him for development of fever or flu like illness, gastro-intestinal symptoms like diarrhea, respiratory symptoms like coughing, bringing out phlegm, developing shortness of breath or any worsening of asthma symptoms. If these occur then consult your family physician or pediatrician.

I don't think that there is anything to put him in a serious danger or there is anything incurable for the time being. So just get relaxed and hope for the best.

With best wishes,
Dr Satyadeo Choubey
Follow-up: Child tasted water from bird bath. Mild asthma. Anything serious? 22 minutes later
How long do I need to specifically watch for these things? Is there a certain amount of time after which I no longer have to monitor closely?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 2 hours later
Thanks again for follow up,
I think a 3-5 day period will be adequate.