Ask a Dentist   »  

Child taking Augmentin for dental infection and vomiting. What do you suggest?

After getting the suggestion for my previous query about consuming "Augmentin 375" tablet for my 8 year old daughter for her dental infection, my daughter had the tablet after breakfast today. In the school, she vomited at least three times during the day.Hence i thought should let you know this and take opinion on whether to continue "Augmentin 375" tablet or not. Please suggest...

--- pasted the previous answer ---
Brief Answer:
it is safe and okay to go ahead with Augmentin 375

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Augmentin 375 mg contains amoxicillin and clavulanic acid and it is safe in children even from the age of 3 months.

Therefore I suggest you that Augmentin 375 is safe and it is okay to continue as part in the treatment of dental infection in your child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Replied by Dr. E Venkata XXXXXXX , 11 hours ago     
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Augmentin is safe, if liver function tests are norm

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX,
XXXX, augmentin in tablet form is safe, if liver function tests are normal.
Vomiting after taking augmentin tablet indicates liver functions are not normal, so I will suggest you discontinue augmentin and take an alternate immediately.
Usually augmentin ds syrup is prescribed in children between (5-10years)/amoxilline 250 mg is prescribed.
Nothing to get worried.
Hope this will be helpful.
Take Care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta