Child swallowed to axanax. What should I do?

My 2 year old swallowed to axanax
What should i do
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contact pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I completely understand your concern in this case. I would recommend that you call the pediatrician who takes care of your child as soon as possible to advise that physician about what happened.

I don't think anything serious will happen in this case but I do think that a local doctor needs to know about this as soon as possible.

if this is a single small dose of medication it will most likely not cause any serious problem. I do think that a follow-up physical examination with neurologic examination is necessary. I would recommend that this is performed within the next several hours if possible.

if a physical examination is not able to be performed soon I would recommend hydration and observation. Thanks to watch for include excessive sleepiness and change in breathing.

if there's any concern regarding this I would recommend that you call an ambulance or take the child to a local emergency room.

Again I don't think any problem will occur with a single load builds ingestion. I do think that you should be very careful in observing your child and also I think you should contact the pediatrician as I mentioned above.

Dr. Galamaga