Child swallowed excederin tablet by mistake, not sure if incident took place, no symptoms. Side effects ?

Think my 19 month old 20 lb toddler may have swallowed an excederin tablet. My husband says she didnt but I am a worry wart. This was around 630pm. I havent seen any signs that she did but am still worried. My mother in law was letting her play with the bottle by shaking it and one fell out and I found it and I was worried there could have been another that I didnt see.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

It is XXXXXXX to give your children any such thing to play.

In your case, i would like to reassure you as i do not think that your child has ingested the tablet. I have got a good reason to believe so -

1. A 19 month old cannot ingest such a big size tablet without the aid of water. If she does so, she will cough and choke herself. She must have complained of something sticking in her neck.

2. If she licked and chewed it- let me tell you that the tablet itself is quite bitter and the child will spit it out on its own.

3. You have found the lost tablet. You can count rest of the tablets left in the box and tally them with the number of tablets you have already consumed.

Even if we think of an extreme case that she chewed it all without anyone noticing it even then the doses are not very high to produce any systemic effect on her.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with your daughter. Do not worry.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.