Child suffering from severe cold. Not cured by medicine. Suggest some effective cure

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 1 year child is suffering from severe cold, Doc. prescribed the below:-

webcold suspension
codistar cough syrup
megaclav ds
telekast -l kid tablet
One capsule to be taken with steam.
She cought cold 7 days back and 95% recovered yesterday. Her cold came up again with full power with a lot sneezing and a lot coughing after today's bath.
Please suggest if the current prescription is good to go or shall we look for another prescription.
NOTE: "We have moved from coastal area (Mumbai) to Delhi and after 10 days my daughter cold XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Considering the details you have provided it seems that your daughter is suffering from a respiratory tract infection which can be triggered due to change in place climate , exposure to drier weather .However another possibility could be of a allergic rhinitis which can be triggered by dust , pollen , pollution etc.
The treatment is mainly symptomatic including decongestant antihistamine cough syrups and expectorants as well as a course of antibiotic to prevent further bacterial infection and worsening or development of pneumonia .
So please do not worry as your doctor has included all these in the prescription (Webcold , codistar , megaclav(antibiotic ) ). In addition he has also given antiallergic medication like telekast ( monteleukast ) so the prescription is adequate and you need not worry . It may take about a week to ten days for her symptoms to be controlled even with treatment .
However if she develops any high grade fever, fast breathing , wheezing sound during breathing then she might need further investigation and additional medications( nebulisation ,antipyretic , alternate antibiotic like azithromycin etc) .
As of now it's not required and it would be advisable to continue with the therapy .

Meanwhile make sure you give her plenty of water . You may ask your doctor to add multivitamin or zinc supplements (like A to Z , zinconia etc ) for faster recovery and good immunity.
Make sure that she has received all her vaccinations .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Child suffering from severe cold. Not cured by medicine. Suggest some effective cure 24 hours later
Thanks for the response,
Today Doctor discontinued the tab. telekast, and recommend to continue with other medicines.
Forgot to mention that Nebulizer is continued twice a day since yesterday.(one in morning and one in evening).
there is a slight improvement since yesterday.
Also, he has prescribed multivitamin as per your advice.

In spite of the above medication, is there anything else we need to take care of ? Currently we have increased the fluid intake.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes , I am sure the child should show progressive improvement with such therapy .
No nothing else needs to be done .
Yes keep hydrating the child till complete recovery and it's a good healthy practice Tî give plenty of fluids .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.